Specialised Plant and Machinery Operations
It is important that the instructors/trainers/assessors read all the information provided in the Guidance Notes prior to commencing any instruction, training and/or assessment.
A module credit will be awarded to the candidate for the successful completion of this module. Instruction, training and/or assessment of mandatory modules MOD 1 and MOD 2 must be undertaken and the CITB Health and Safety Test must be successfully completed (after appropriate training) for the issue of the Specialised Plant and Machinery Operations Intermediate Certificate for Tower Crane.
CITB A04 Tower Crane
- Trolley jib : (Endorsement A)
- Luffing jib : (Endorsement B)
CITB A04 Tower Crane Training
To successfully complete this module, the trainee with a tower crane must be able to:
- Identify the basic construction, purpose and function of components and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
- Identify and comply with manufacturers’ instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources i.e. duties charts, and applicable legislation.
- Explain all relevant documentation.
- Carry out daily routine checks.
- Explain procedures that must be taken if accessing the jib for inspection purposes.
- Put the crane into service.
- Check for correct function of all warning systems.
- Change the number of falls of rope on a hook block.
- Carry out pre-lift checks.
- Lift various loads at varying radii from minimum to maximum and control load swings.
- Recognise and respond to given signals and instructions.
- Place loads accurately.
- Explain precautions to be taken for proximity hazards.
- Keep within safe working parameters.
- Place the crane in an out-of-service condition.
It is recommended that mandatory modules MOD 1 and MOD 2 be completed before delivery of this module. As stated in the Guidance Notes, instructors/trainers/assessors are encouraged to integrate subjects from each module in the development of programmes for candidates with little or no experience.
|MOD 1||Introduction to the Industry:|
1. Construction industry structure.
2. The role of the plant operator.
3. Finding and using information relevant to a specific task.
4. Construction registration schemes.
5. Qualifications and continuous professional development.
6. Trained Operator Achievement Test.
|Manufacturers instructions, machine handbooks, test and thorough examination certificates.
Awarding Body and scheme handouts.
|MOD 2||Site Safety Awareness:|
1. Principles and aims of health and safety at work.
2. Employee’s duties and responsibilities under law.
3. Safety signs.
4. Dealing with hazards.
5. Accident prevention and control.
6. Selection and use of personal protective equipment.
7. Handling plant-related harmful substances.
8. Trained Operator Achievement Test.
|Current legislation, Approved Codes of Practice and Government body guidance.|
|CITB A04||Tower Crane:|
1. Basic construction, names of components and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
2. Use of the operator’s handbook, other information sources, Approved Codes of Practice and legislative documents.
3. Operator documentation, certificates, method statements, lift plans, duties charts etc.
4. Safety procedures when accessing end of jib.
5. Bringing the crane into service and functional and warning system checks.
6. Changing the number of falls of rope on a hook block and terminal fittings.
7. Lifting accessories.
8. Pre-lift checks and lifting loads.
9. Responding to signals and instructions.
10. Placing loads accurately.
11. Precautions and actions for proximity hazards.
12. How to stay within safe working parameters including controlling load swings.
13. Placing the crane in an out-of-service condition.
14. Trained Operator Achievement Test.
|Manufacturer’s instructions, machine handbooks, test and thorough examination certificates.
Current legislation, Approved Codes of Practice and Government body guidance.